Keukenhof, the astonishingly beautiful gardens in Netherlands are believed to be as eagerly awaited as the Spring itself !! There are reasons for such an excitement and rightly so. Every year the gardens are welcome thousands of visitors and for good reasons. One, it is a spectacular treat. Two, it is meticulously designed and executed. Third, it opens for a very small window, i.e. 3 months odd, across the entire year – which merits its coveted attention. Fourth, the event has been performed brilliantly and efficiently year after year which makes it such a craze. Every year, the theme for the flowers is amended, new additions are made, and public transport adjusts itself which reflects the criticality of the event for the gardens and the country as well.
|Colours and Celebrations – Keunkenof – An event to cherish|
|Spring at its best – Keukenhof Gardens|
|The only soul bored at Keukenof|
Many people who visit Netherlands simply for Keukenhof and they are absolutely right with their choice. The gardens are a sensual delight and has a fleet of highly trained and professional staff to make your experience special.
|Tulips all the way – Keukenhof Gardens|
First things First: Being THE most commercialized garden in the world, it opens for only a very small duration (Mid March- May 2018 and the opening time varies every year). For the rest of the months, preparations are done for the forthcoming year. This means, that not only the beauty of the gardens, but also the window in which it is available, makes it so sought after for the tourists.
|Flowers symmetry at the Keukenhof|
PS: It is suggested to check the details of the weather on the Facebook page of the gardens here before you proceed.
|Flowers and Flowers – Spring all the way – Keukenhof Gardens|
Keukenhof is situated in Lisse, Netherlands between Hague (Den Haag) and Amsterdam. In fact, it is more close to the Schiphol, the Amsterdam Airport than Amsterdam. There is an excellent public transportation between the Airport and Keukenhof garden. Several employees of the garden are placed who would be more than happy to help you, and also check your tickets well before you board your tickets. In short, you would reach breezily from Schiphol, with some queues.
|Several Hues, Several colours, one result – BLISS !|
The connections from Hague, via Leiden, are also very good and as always the operations are well coordinated with the help of the support staff of the gardens.
|Ducks highlighting the beauty at Keukenhof|
Before you get awed by the clinical design and the layout of the Keukenhof, you may make sure to have a clear idea to how things are spread in the first place. Therefore, it is suggested to have some feel of the place with the free maps, available around the entrance. It’s better to take some time to identify the places of interest. There are lakes, bridges, children play area, windmills…. all inside the Gardens. I’d suggest you to be brisk initially rather than being mesmerized by the sight. There are several themes, and amazing workmanship of creativity and colors that await you.
|Keukenof Gardens – Beautiful Flowers and arrangement|
Keukenhof Garden is at best a day trip. People spend from 4-8 hours depending on the interest and fitness level. You can also easily walk around the other Tulip farms that are around. As a region, Lisse is famous for Tulips, and other options around Keukenhof are also beautiful, albeit not as structured. They are beautiful in their own rights and being just 15 minutes walk away, they call for your time.(One of the useful resources here.) The best way would be to move around these farms on a cycle, after ofcourse seeking permission from the owners.
|Spring manifesting itself|
TIPS FOR YOUR PERFECT TRIP :
- Scout the weather: It’s paramount, trust me a bad weather can be very annoying. One, the blossoms would not be adequate and second it can sap your moods. Here are some resources for tracking the weather.
- AVOID Weekends and Public Holidays: I can’t stress enough the crowds that would flow on weekends. So much so, that people find even taking a single photograph or using a washroom a challenge. So NO,NO to the weekends. That applies for the general rules for starting early to skip the crowd.
- Food: The Food in the restaurant inside the Gardens is Expensive and you are likely to feel cheated for what you pay. Better to carry along snacks.
- Water: There are some water fountains around the Garden, where you can refill the empty bottles. Please do that, to avoid exorbitant prices !
- Accommodation: If you are travelling only for Keukenhof, then staying around Leiden or Schiphol can be a good option. If you are not in a hurry to take a flight back home, I’d suggest staying at Leiden, because that gives you the flexibility to explore Leiden as well, which is a nice and beautiful university town.
- Be Slow and Explore: Many people visit the gardens to check a bucket-list item, only to explore in haste. Go slow, not necessarily where the crowd is heading and enjoy the spectacle.